|A doula creates a nurturing environment for a family to bring their child into the world. As a doula I want this environment to be as loving and meaningful as possible to both parents. For many women that means having their baby’s father be their labor coach! That is a role that he is wonderfully suited for since he knows the Mom better than anyone else and has a bond with her that was special enough to create this new life!|
As a doula I participate in many births where the father is the birth coach and main support. I frequently demonstrate massage techniques, accupressure, relaxation techniques, and other specialized knowledge to the father so he can competently provide support that would usually be outside his areas of expertise. A doula is also a huge boost to Dad’s confidence. He knows he’s doing things right and doesn’t have to worry that she’ll be telling funny stories about how awkward he was next Christmas at the big family dinner.
Instead she’ll remember how present and helpful he was and how she couldn’t have done it without him!
Doula’s support the whole family by:
– Explaining hospital policy
– Review risks, benefits & alternatives to different medical interventions that may be available
– Provides additional hands for massage, accupressure, etc. for times when Dad’s hands are tired.
– Provides perspective as someone who can be more objective about the situation and has attended many births.
– Provide advocacy for the parents
– Runs errands for food, drinks, blankets, pillows, birth balls, squat bar
– Breastfeeding assistance
– Photographing the birth
|Yes, our family wants to be well supported. Contact me for my no obligation interview!|